Student Resources

Boston University’s Prison Education Program strives to provide the means whereby, through education, students can become informed, successful, and contributing citizens. If you were a fully matriculated student in BU’s Prison Education Program while incarcerated, you are a fully matriculated BU student upon your release. If you graduated from the Prison Education Program while incarcerated, you are a full-fledged graduate of Boston University.

Continuing your Education

The first step in continuing your education is to contact Student Services at Boston University’s Metropolitan College. Their academic advisors can suggest the most efficient way for you to pursue the remaining credits you need to graduate. While their focus is on undergraduates, you should go see them if you graduated while incarcerated and if you have questions about graduate school.

Boston University Metropolitan College
Student Services
1010 Commonwealth Avenue, 1st Floor
Boston, MA 02215


If you live in Massachusetts and decide that one of the Massachusetts state colleges and universities is a more practical option for you, you might wish to visit the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education website.

The Costs

It is important to the Prison Education Program that you finish your degree, but it may not be possible for you to do so at Boston University because of the financial burden. Some students do manage to put together a financial aid package, but at this time, there is no financial aid program specifically geared toward former BU Prison Education students.

Financial aid is available to students who are matriculated into a degree program at Boston University Metropolitan College. Visit Metropolitan College’s Financial Aid & Scholarships web page or contact the office for more information.

Boston University Metropolitan College
Financial Aid
1010 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215


A general overview of financial aid terms and types of aid is available from the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC).

In order to apply for financial aid, you must fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).