Every year, BU School of Law’s Public Interest Project (PIP) provide grants to first and second-year JD students who accept unpaid summer internships with non-profit, public interest, or government organizations. To qualify for a grant, students must demonstrate a strong commitment to public service and secure an unpaid legal position in public service. Past placements have included Greater Boston Legal Services, the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Immigration Legal Resource Center, Kids In Need of Defense (KIND), state Attorneys General, US Attorney’s Offices, and District Attorney’s Offices and Public Defender Offices nationwide.
The PIP Grant provides up to $5,100 for 1L and 2L students who accept unpaid summer positions with non-profit, public interest, or government organizations.
JD students who wish to be considered for a PIP grant for the summer of 2021 must complete the intent to apply form by 5:00 p.m. on October 9, 2020.
To withdraw from the application process after filling out the intent to apply form, please complete the withdrawal form.
Please also review the 2020-2021 Applicant Packet for detailed information about the requirements for the grant. Please open in Google Docs for best readability.
- October 9, 2020: Intent to apply form must be completed and submitted online by 5 p.m.
- October 24 – October 31, 2020: First round of donor email outreach.
- November 21 – December 1, 2020: Second round of donor email outreach.
- February 1, 2021: Work-Study application and optional financial need statement must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office. *Please note you must complete the 2021-22 FAFSA application before submitting this form.*
- February 19, 2021: All auction items must be turned in.
- March 11 – March 18, 2021: Third wave of donor email outreach.
- March 19, 2021: Written application due at 5:00 P.M.; all public interest hours and bonus hours must be submitted via Google form by 5:00 P.M.
- March 19, 2021: Launch of online PIP auction and Celebratory Event!
- April 2, 2021: Employment confirmation letter must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m.
- April 30, 2021: All employment documents are due to the Law School Payroll department by 5:00 pm.