DJ Spotlight: Zoe Salvucci

28939417_1949476245094163_1237035363_o 2

Zoe Salvucci, Dat Brass (Thursdays from 6-8AM)

What are you listening to right now?

I recently discovered a band called Black Pistol Fire that I’m getting into, they’re kind of White Stripes-meets-Black Keys. I also am obsessed with The Strypes right now, they’re a mod/blues-revival band from Ireland! Each member is 20-22 years old and they just put out their third studio album. They’re way better than they should be for their age.

What is your radio show about?

My radio show is a quiz/trivia based talk show where we quiz each other and listeners about various topics!!

What do you love about WTBU?

WTBU is such a cool organization because it allows us to get a sense of the professional world in a supportive, student-run environment. There are so many different amazing opportunities it provides, whether that’s covering a show of your favorite band or mixing an in-studio session of a band on tour. Also, literally everyone that does WTBU is super cool.

What have you gained from WTBU?

I’ve learned so many technical skills as well as how to communicate professionally with artists, whether that’s through promotions or in studio productions. I’ve also stopped hating the sound of my own voice!

What inspired you to start your radio show?

I met my friend (and now co-host) Danya at orientation last June and we bonded over our love of the dying genre of ska. We joked that we should start a radio dedicated to sharing our love of ska with the world, and then we ended up pitching it and it actually got approved!

What’s one thing that always makes you laugh?

My co-host Danya. She’s the funniest person in the world. 90% of the talking portion of our show is Danya talking and me laughing.

What’s your favorite citrus and why?

Clementines! They’re nature’s candy.

If you could watch one movie for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

It’s a tie between Almost Famous and Sing Street. I love movies about music, and I regularly rewatch both of those. I’ve watched Sing Street probably 5 times in the past 3 months (it’s on Netflix, go watch it now). They’re both such uplifting stories that never fail to bring up my mood (and get their soundtracks stuck in my head).

If your radios show had clothes, what would it wear?

I’m gonna be a nerd for a second — the first thing that popped into my head are those checkerboard Vans. The checkerboard pattern emerged as a kind of symbol of ska music during the two-tone movement in England in the 1950s, so third-wave ska fans in the 90s started wearing checkered Vans to show their love of ska. They’re more common in general now, but if you go to a ska show you’ll see tons of people wearing them.