DJ Spotlight: Danya Trommer

Interview by Hannah Schweitzer

Danya Trommer, DJ on Dat Brass (Thursdays from 6-8AM )

What music are you listening to right now?

I’ve been listening to a lot of streetlight Manifesto, Jim Croce, and Elvis 

If you could have dinner with any artist, who would you have dinner with and why?

I’d want to have dinner with Tomas Kalnoky, lead singer of Streetlight Manifesto! I’m very much in love with him and I think he’s musically incredibly talented so I’d love to pick his brain about music!! 

What are your favorite pizza toppings?

Sausage and bacon!! 

What do you love about WTBU?

I love WTBU because I am so happy to have the opportunity to play my favorite music that doesn’t get any playtime on actual radio due to being incredibly unpopular.

What inspired you to start your radio show?

I have a very strong passion for ska and I just love talking about music and just bantering so I thought it’d be super fun! 

How would you describe your radio show voice?

I usually do a weird like male announcer voice. I go way into my lower register and sometimes do a smooth jazz radio voice too. It’s just naturally what happens for some reason.

What’s the most embarrassing thing you have done on the air?

I burp and fart a lot on air. I feel very bad for Zoe (my cohost). I’ve also several times double clicked on songs when I didn’t mean to and just totally cut off songs. 

What have you gained from being in WTBU?

I’ve gained such great experience from hosting a show. It’s also helped me realize how much I love radio as a medium. Also, since my show is at 6 am, I’ve definitely learned how to make myself get up early.