REVIEW: COIN @ Paradise Rock Club 02/13

Photo by Monica Sucic
Photo by Monica Sucic

The American alt-pop band COIN headlined Paradise Rock Club on Feb. 13, where they almost tore a speaker off the ceiling. Literally.

This was COIN’s first time in Boston in 2018, and there was a stunning turn out for a Tuesday night. Following their sold-out show at the Sinclair in May, COIN has definitely established a strong and dedicated fan base here in Beantown. Many of the audience members already knew every word to their newest single, “Growing Pains,” which the band released the previous Friday before a sold-out show at New York’s Irving Plaza. Most of their recent success comes from the popularity of their second album, How Will You Know If You Never Try, which was released in April 2017.

Opening for the night was a quartet of classy and colorful ladies from Utah, the Aces. Each one of them clad in a distinctly different outfit, the girls captured everyone’s attention as soon as they set foot on stage. They played their three newest singles, “Fake Nice,” “Volcanic Love,” and, my personal favorite, “Lovin’ is Bible.” They just released a music video for “Volcanic Love” with some Heathers-inspired ‘80s looks. The three songs will be featured on their upcoming album, which will be released on April 6. Following those Haim-like hits, the Aces rocked out to “Physical” and their most popular song, “Stuck”. If you haven’t listened to it already, “Stuck” will absolutely steal your heart with lead singer Cristal Ramirez’s upbeat and powerful vocals. These girls have a bubbly yet badass stage presence which will surely gain them attention after they release their first LP. They were extremely genuine and sweet, and they made sure to stay out and talk to every fan in line to meet them after the show. Overall, the Aces were a perfect opener for COIN and I’m going to keep an eye on them from now on.

COIN came on stage receiving thunderous applause and opened with “Growing Pains” without hesitation. Fans excitedly joined in to lead singer Chase Lawrence’s energetic dancing as he flew back and forth across the stage, with the LED backdrop displaying black and white school pictures of members Lawrence, drummer Ryan Winnen, bassist Zachary Dyke, and guitarist Joe Memmel as children. This newest release from the Nashville band initially sounds a bit like something from Smallpools, but after a few listens there are distinct touches that couldn’t be from anyone else but COIN. Through social media, Lawrence has displayed extreme pride for the popularity and praise that “Growing Pains” has received in the few weeks it’s been out. His happiness was clear on stage as he spread his arms wide for the line “What am I feeling now?” as the powerful drum beats resurfaced. The high energy continued with songs “Boyfriend,” “Time Machine,” and “Run.” Lawrence even clutched a speaker hanging over the stage and stabilized himself on one of the large poles, leaning over the crowd to “I Don’t Wanna Dance” and almost pulling the speaker from the ceiling.

Every time I go to a COIN show, I feel nervous before. It’s as if there’s a shared jittery energy in the air. There’s a chaotic blend of those who have seen the band over five times and know what they’re in for, and those who have never seen them before and are anxiously awaiting what’s to come. For me personally, it’s a mix of both. This was my third COIN show, and I knew a bit of what to expect. Flashing lights as electric chords ripped through the venue, then the calm of “Malibu ’92” and the live version of “I Would,” and the spark of green lights as Lawrence sings “blah blah, green eyes” during “Talk Too Much.” But they always bring a toss up, like adding “Hannah” and “Miranda Beach” to the setlist of certain shows but not others. This time, the new elements were an unreleased song, “You,” and the set design. On this tour, COIN has made full use of a large LED screen as a backdrop as opposed to the neon signs they’ve been using on the previous two tours supporting their second album. Definitely a step in the right direction for their stage layout, the backdrop added a new mood to each song and another emotional level that hasn’t been prevalent in their prior shows. Everything felt stronger; the room felt even more connected through these images.

Anyone, regardless of whether they like COIN’s music or not, should go to a COIN show at least once in their life. It’s truly a high-energy experience in a way that makes you feel simultaneously young and mature, and makes you think “This is what concerts should be like.” Seeing COIN has made me appreciate their music more than I ever thought I would, and they’re definitely one of my top three favorite bands to see live. Get out to see them in small venues while you still can, because I have a strong feeling they’re only going to go onwards and upwards from here.

-Monica Sucic