DJ Spotlight: Sophia Ricciardi

20171116_105719

Interview by Rachel Gentile

Sophia Ricciardi

COM 2020

Film/TV

Why did you join WTBU?

When I first toured COM, one of the tour guides showed us the WTBU Studio and everyone there was super nice and welcoming and it just seemed like a really great group of people. And who doesn’t love to listen to music, so I figured I’d give it a shot since it seemed like a low time commitment. It ended up being a really fun thing to go do every week.

What’s your favorite part of being in WTBU?

I really just love everyone in WTBU. I’ve never met someone – whether they’re a DJ or E-Board member – who hasn’t been super welcoming and down to talk about music and life and just have a good time. Every show I’ve worked on we’ve all just been hanging out, vibing and it’s been so nice to be able to go somewhere with a bunch of people who are all just here to have a good time listening to music and make the station awesome.

What is it that makes your show unique?

As far as I know we are the only show that does movie scores and soundtracks, so that’s part of it. We really try to bring a genre of music that doesn’t get a lot of attention out of the woodwork which I think is super fun. I think more people should listen to movie scores and that might just be the film major in me talking. It’s like classical music but with more electric guitar. I think everybody could use more bad-assery in their life and what better way to do it then with college radio.

Can you describe your show with a single meme?

If throwing Nicholas Cage’s face into pictures is a meme, that is it. But we’ve recently been on a Shrek kick so who knows.

What artists have you been listening to lately?

I’ve been listening to Public Access T.V., they’re in the process of putting out their new album. I really liked Never Enough which was their debut. I think they’re a really cool kind-of punk, kind-of classic band coming out of New York that I’ve been keeping an eye on. Other than that, I’ve been listening to Mark Mothersbaugh, he did the Thor soundtrack which is fire, straight fire. It’s the perfect blend of electric and classic score trends and I love it!

How do you like the new studio?

I love it! I’m so excited to be able to play live music. I volunteered to help with the in-studio team so I’m super hyped to learn about all the new equipment. It’s just super awesome to be able to have a real space. I have a friend that goes to Penn State and is on the radio station there and I sent him a snapchat of our studio and he got super jealous.