DJ Spotlight: Josie Abdella

Josie

Interview by Audria Hadikusumo

Josie Abdella (DJ Basic Cable)

They Call Me TV Tommy, Fridays 2-4PM

Major: Film & TV

First thing’s first, what’s the inspiration behind your show, They Call Me TV Tommy?

Big Little Lies is my inspiration for They Call Me TV Tommy! As I was trying to come up with a concept for my show, I was also watching Big Little Lies. I think Big Little Lies is revolutionary for its use of music in the show. The music supervisor and director Jean Marc Valle decided to use only music from outside sources. None of the music on the show is written for the show.

How did you come up with the name of your show? Do they really call you TV Tommy?

My parents, specifically my dad, used to call me TV Tommy as a kid! Since I was little, I have essentially been glued to a television screen. I’ve always been fascinated by it, which led me to major in Film and TV!

If you had the chance to create your own TV show, what would it be like?

If I had the chance to create my own TV show, I think it would probably be a murder mystery, in the vain of Big Little Lies. I think shows and movies that effectively make use of a twist are fascinating. My dream cast for this fictional program would probably star Ryan Gosling, Jake Gyllenhaal, Cole Sprouse, Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett, and Julianne Moore. These actors don’t have much overlap in programs, but I think it would be an interesting mesh! It would most definitely be on HBO

Share some of your favorite moments at WTBU!

Some of my favorite memories from WTBU probably took place while I was on WTBU News. I met some of my favorite people while working on the show. I also developed my confidence. I went from just wanting to learn the equipment to writing stories and reading them on air! Now I have my own show and it’s one of my favorite parts of my week! Shout out to Miranda Suarez aka my radio mom <3

Lastly, who are you currently listening to?

Right now, I’m listening to The Killers, John Mayer and Beyonce!