URBAN ARCH Newsletter
Volume 3, Issue 2
April 2016 – June 2016
Check out the current issue of URBAN ARCH News, the quarterly newsletter bringing you news based on the latest URBAN ARCH and related research.
The fifth URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting held April 5-6, 2016 brought together approximately 60 investigators, staff, Scientific Advisory Panel members, and other collaborators to discuss the progress and future direction of the URBAN ARCH Consortium.
Read more about the meeting here!
- URBAN ARCH welcomes Julia Purks, recipient of a 2016 CFAR Summer Student Internship, working under the mentorship of Dr. Jeffrey Samet
- New Grant: Congratulations to Dr. Karsten Lunze on receiving a K99 R00 grant addressing stigma and health care among HIV-infected Russians who inject drugs
- New Grant: Congratulations to Dr. Karsten Lunze on receiving a CFAR Collaborative grant entitled “Double Stigma as Barrier to Integrated HIV Treatment among HIV Infected PWID in Ukraine”
- Congratulations to Dr. Karsten Lunze on receiving the Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award from the American College of Preventive Medicine (ACPM)
In this issue, we interview Richard Saitz, MD, MPH, Principal Investigator of Boston ARCH and Chair of the Department of Community Health Sciences at the Boston University School of Public Health.
Click on the buttons to see what the URBAN ARCH Cohorts and Cores have been working on.
Several URBAN ARCH investigators will be in attendance at CPDD and NIDA International Forum this month presenting on projects related to substance use in populations with HIV.
Click here for more information.
- Edelman EJ, Gordon KS, Tate JP, Becker WC, Bryant K, Crothers K, Gaither JR, Gibert CL, Gordon AJ, Marshall BDL, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Samet JH, Skanderson M, Justice AC, Fiellin DA. The impact of prescribed opioids on CD4 cell count recovery among HIV-infected patients newly initiating antiretroviral therapy. HIV Med. 2016 May 17. [Epub ahead of print].
- Fatch R, Emenyonu N, Muyindike W, Kekibiina A, Woolf-King S, Hahn JA. Alcohol interactive toxicity beliefs and ART non-adherence among HIV-infected current drinkers in Mbarara, Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2016 May 19. [Epub ahead of print].
- Lunze K, Raj A, Cheng DM, Quinn EK, Lunze FI, Liebschutz JM, Bridden C, Walley AY, Blokhina E, Krupitsky E, Samet JH. Sexual violence from police and HIV risk behaviours among HIV-positive women who inject drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia: a mixed methods study. J Int AIDS Soc. [In press].
- So-Armah KA, Edelman J, Cheng DM, Doyle MF, Patts GJ, Gnatienko N, Krupitsky EM, Samet JH, Freiberg MS. Effects of heavy drinking on T-cell phenotypes consistent with immunosenescence in untreated HIV infection. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. [In press].
- So-Armah KA, Tate JP, Chang CH, Butt AA, Gerschenson M, Gibert CL, Leaf D, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Budoff MJ, Samet JH, Kuller LH, Deeks SG, Crothers KA, Tracy RP, Crane HM, Sajadi MM, Tindle HA, Justice AC, Freiberg MS; The VACS Project Team. Do biomarkers of inflammation, monocyte activation and altered coagulation explain excess mortality between HIV infected and uninfected people? J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jun 1;72(2):206-13. PMCID: PMC4867134.
- Thakarar K, Asiimwe SB, Cheng DM, Forman L, Ngabirano C, Muyindike WR, Emenyonu NI, Samet JH, Hahn JA. Alcohol consumption in Ugandan HIV-infected household-brewers versus non-brewers. AIDS Behav. 2016 May 5. [Epub ahead of print].
- Woolf-King SE, Muyindike W, Hobbs MM, Kusasira A, Fatch R, Emenyonu N, Johnson MO, Hahn JA. Vaginal Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) is a useful biomarker of semen exposure among HIV-infected Ugandan women. AIDS Behav. 2016 May 25. [Epub ahead of print].
- NIH HIV/AIDS Research Priorities Webinar and FAQs
- NIAAA Selects Winners of its Wearable Alcohol Biosensor Challenge
- Pilot Clinical Trials to Eliminate the Latent HIV Reservoir (U01) (RFA-AI-16-012)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Mental Health
Application Receipt Date(s): July 26, 2016
- NIDA Translational Avant-Garde Award for Development of Medication to Treat Substance Use Disorders (UG3/UH3) (RFA-DA-17-015)
National Institute on Drug Abuse
Application Receipt Date(s): July 28, 2016
- Accelerating the Pace of Drug Abuse Research Using Existing Data (R01) (PAR-16-234)
National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Application Due Date(s): Standard dates apply
Click here for more funding announcements related to HIV and alcohol research.
Please email Carly Bridden if you will be attending any these meetings, so we can connect you with our investigators.
- NIDA International Forum & College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD): June 11 – 16, 2016; Palm Springs, CA.
- Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA): June 25-29, 2016; New Orleans, LA.
- International AIDS Conference: July 18-22, 2016; Durban, South Africa.
- ISBRA ESBRA World Congress on Alcohol and Alcoholism: September 2-5, 2016; Berlin, Germany.
- International Workshop on Co-morbidities and Adverse Drug Events in HIV: September 12-13, 2016; New York, New York. Abstract submission deadline: June 17, 2016.
Click here for more events and conferences.