URBAN ARCH Newsletter
Volume 2, Issue 2
April 2015 – June 2015
Check out the current issue of URBAN ARCH News, the quarterly newsletter bringing you news based on the latest URBAN ARCH and related research.
The fourth URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting held April 28-29, 2015 brought together approximately 55 investigators, staff, Scientific Advisory Panel members, and other collaborators to discuss the progress and future direction of the URBAN ARCH Consortium.
Read more about the meeting here!
- New Grant: Congratulations to Dr. Richard Saitz and Theresa Kim on receiving an NIAAA Administrative Supplement to examine the effects of alcohol and opioid consumption on bone turnover markers (BTMs) in our Boston ARCH study.
In this issue, we interview Elena Blokhina, MD, PhD, Co-Investigator of the Russia ARCH Cohort and Deputy Director of the Valdman Institute of Pharmacology at First St. Petersburg Pavlov State Medical University
Click on the buttons to see what the URBAN ARCH Cohorts and Cores have been working on.
URBAN ARCH at CPDD and RSA!
Several URBAN ARCH investigators will be in attendance at CPDD and RSA this month presenting on projects related to substance use in populations with HIV.
Click here for URBAN ARCH at CPDD information.
Click here for URBAN ARCH at RSA information.
- Edelman EJ, Cheng DM, Krupitsky EM, Bridden C, Quinn E, Walley AY, Lioznov D, Blokhina B, Zvartau E, Samet JH. Heroin Use and HIV Disease Progression: Results from a Pilot Study of a Russian Cohort. AIDS Behav. 2014 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print].
- Parry CD, Morojele NK, Myers BJ, Kekwaletswe CT, Manda SO, Sorsdahl K, Ramjee G, Hahn JA, Rehm J, Shuper PA. Efficacy of an alcohol-focused intervention for improving adherence to antiretroviral therapy (ART) and HIV treatment outcomes: A randomised controlled trial protocol. BMC Infect Dis. 2014 Sep 12;14:500. PMCID: PMC4174635
- Methodologies to Enhance Understanding of HIV Associated Social Determinants (R01) (RFA-MH-16-200), (R21) (RFA-MH-16-205) National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Application Due Date(s): August 19, 2015
- The Role of Exosomes in HIV Neuropathogenesis (R01) (RFA-MH-16-100) (R21) (RFA-MH-16-110) National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Application
- Application Due Date(s): September 02, 2015
Click here for more funding announcements related to HIV and alcohol research.
Please email Carly Bridden if you will be attending any these meetings, so we can connect you with our investigators.
- NIDA International Forum & College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD): June 12 – 18, 2015; Phoenix, Arizona, US
- Research Society on Alcoholism (RSA): June 20-24, 2015; San Antonio, TX, USA
- International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention: July 19-22 2015; Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Fifth Conference on HIV/AIDS in Eastern Europe and Central Asia: March 23-26, 2016; Moscow, Russia
- Poster and thesis submission deadline: September 20, 2015
Click here for more events and conferences.
Complete baseline data for the Uganda ARCH, Boston ARCH, and Russia ARCH cohorts are now available. See below for selected baseline characteristics:
- Uganda ARCH baseline characteristics
- Russia ARCH baseline characteristics
- Boston ARCH baseline characteristics
For more information or to be removed from this list, please contact: Carly Bridden, URBAN ARCH Administrative Director.
U24AA020778 × U24AA020779 × U01AA020776 × U01AA020780 × U01AA021989 × U01AA020784