URBAN ARCH Newsletter
Volume 3, Issue 4
October 2016 – December 2016
Check out the current issue of URBAN ARCH News, the quarterly newsletter bringing you news based on the latest URBAN ARCH and related research.
As we move forward with the renewal studies, URBAN ARCH takes a look back over the past 5 years and acknowledges the accomplishments and progress of the Uganda, Russia, and Boston cohorts. Click here to read more.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jeffrey Samet for being named the first John Noble Professor of General Internal Medicine at Boston University
- Congratulations to Evgeny Krupitsky, Dmitry Lioznov, Jeffrey Samet, and Edwin Zvartau on receiving the Prix Galien Russia Committee Special Jury Award on World AIDS Day for their research on the prevalence of HIV in vulnerable and special populations in the Russian Federation.
- Abstract presentation at the CFAR Joint Symposium on HIV Research in Women: Sexual violence from police and HIV risks among HIV-infected women who inject drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia (Lunze et al.). Dr. Karsten Lunze also received a travel award to present at this conference.
- Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infectious (CROI) 2017: Longitudinal association between alcohol use and inflammatory biomarkers (So-Armah et al.)
- Abstract accepted for poster presentation at the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) 2017: Are depression and anxiety symptoms associated with heavy smoking or higher nicotine dependence among HIV-infected smokers in Russia? (Lasser et al.)
In this issue, we interview Carly Bridden, MA, MPH, Administrative Director of URBAN ARCH and Clinical Research Director in the Clinical Addiction Research and Education (CARE) Unit at Boston Medical Center.
Click on the buttons to see what the URBAN ARCH Cohorts and Cores have been working on.
The sixth URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting will be held on March 28-29, 2017. Click here for more information about this meeting. We hope to see you there!
- Fairbairn NS, Walley AY, Cheng DM, Quinn EK, Bridden C, Chaisson C, Blokhina E, Lioznov D, Krupitsky E, Raj A, Samet JH. Mortality in HIV-infected substance users in Russia. PLoS One. 2016;11(11):e0166539.
- Tsui JI, Cheng DM, Coleman SM, Blokhina E, Gnatienko N, Bryant K, Krupitsky E, Zvartau E, Samet JH. Pain and risk behaviors among HIV-infected persons in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS Behav. 2016. [Epub ahead of print].
- Administrative Supplement for Research on Sex/Gender Influences (Admin Supp) (PA-17-078)
Office of Research on Women’s Health
Application Due Date: February 13, 2017
- National Cooperative Drug Discovery/Development Groups (NCDDG) for the Treatment of Mental Disorders, Drug or Alcohol Addiction (U01) (PAR-14-184)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institute on Drug Abuse
Application Due Date: February 23, 2017
- International Research Scientist Development Award (IRSDA) (K01) (PAR-17-002)
Fogarty International Center, National Cancer Institute
Application Due Date: March 2, 2017
- Optimizing the HIV Care Continuum for Substance Abusing Populations at High-Risk and/or Living with HIV (R01) (RFA-DA-17-024) Notice of Change to Award Project Period (NOT-DA-17-006)
National Institute of Drug Abuse
Application Due Date: May 9, 2017
Click here for more funding announcements related to HIV and alcohol research.
Please email Carly Bridden if you will be attending any these meetings, so we can connect you with our investigators.
- SAVE THE DATE! URBAN ARCH Annual Meeting: March 28-29, 2017; Boston, MA.
- Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI): February 13-16, 2017; Seattle, WA.
- Gordon Research Conference on Alcohol-Induced End Organ Diseases: March 26-31, 2017; Ventura, CA. Application submission deadline: February 26, 2017.
Click here for more events and conferences.
- Fordham HIV & Drug Abuse Prevention Research Ethics Training Institute
- University of New Mexico Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions: Assessment Instruments
For more information or to be removed from this list, please contact:
Carly Bridden, URBAN ARCH Administrative Director
U24AA020778 × U24AA020779 × U01AA020776 × U01AA020780 × U01AA021989 × U01AA020784