The essential way forward

By Michael

[…] I am astounded by what can be accomplished when everyone works together to achieve a common goal. My experience with this project is no different. I am grateful to have worked with our client team that exudes such a passion to serve the underprivileged.

As I endure quarantine at home, I think about the essential workers risking exposure to COVID-19 and how our definition of ‘essential’ before the pandemic has largely been taken for granted. COVID-19 has brought ‘essential’ back to its roots. Although fundamental to our daily living, the transportation, civil, farming, municipal, utility, government, and healthcare services ran silently in the background, out of focus unless for major once-in-a-while occurrences, but as we lay isolated in our homes in the throes of a pandemic, the importance of these services is thrust to the fore as a primary means to our survival through this very difficult period. With all non-essential businesses pausing operations to prevent the spread of the virus, these activities have become absolutely vital to maintain critical infrastructure. The nation must now depend on workers in these services to risk their health on the frontlines as they work through the pandemic to meet our essential needs. I particularly feel for those healthcare professionals whose honorable duty of treating patients who suffer COVID-19 is not without great sacrifice to quarantine themselves from their own families to maintain their health in order to serve the greater good. The struggle to overcome the disease cannot rely on essential services alone and requires complete cooperation from everyone to do their part to flatten the curve. Unlike pandemics experienced by generations before us, we have the technology and resources to stay connected despite our social distancing so that we can work together as a global team to beat COVID-19.

As this crisis unfolds, I cannot help but notice similarities of our current situation with the daily struggles of the people of Maranhão who, restricted by their limited economic opportunities, require the relief of essential services as they cope with their poverty and disease.

Citizens face numerous biological threats, a few of which such as water-borne diarrhea, can be prevented with access to clean water. Like with COVID-19, the effort requires a commitment to public health that expects affected communities and their stakeholders to work in concert (monitor, review, and act) to reduce disease incidence. Seeing the COVID-19 curve flatten in multiple countries, I am astounded by what can be accomplished when everyone works together to achieve a common goal. My experience with this project is no different. I am grateful to have worked with our client team that exudes such a passion to serve the underprivileged. They set a high bar for the project as they described the seriousness of the problem and the enduring hope that the Healthy Homes program can bring for the people of Maranhão. Not only did I admire their dedication to the mission, I also really appreciated their genuine kindness and willingness to help with any concerns or questions we had to ensure that we put our best foot forward.

I was particularly taken by the support of individuals who, having no direct involvement with our project, took the time during this stressful climate to provide useful feedback. My gratitude extends to classmate Kaci and public health expert, Boston University Research Associate Professor Clarissa Valim, MD, who were available to discuss the project and share insights. Kaci and I spoke about our project discoveries and noted the differences with client interaction (one versus multiple), which is not a simple delineation since our project themes were distinct from each other. Insights from my conversation with Professor Valim really put into perspective the importance of our work. Having received a medical degree from the University of the State of Rio de Janeiro in Brazil in 1988 and her doctorate in Immunology and Infectious Diseases at the Harvard School of Public Health in 2003, Professor Valim has extensively researched infectious diseases affecting public health in developing countries notably malaria in Malawi, Zika in Brazil, and childhood fever and pneumonia in the Gambia. Hearing about her experience in the field allowed me to better understand the people and their problems, which led me to further explore areas for recommendation such as women empowerment (eg vaccination, contraception strategies), public health education, and disease prevention measures (eg protecting clean water sources from mosquitos).

The findings from this project demonstrate that healthy outcomes can be achieved when everyone involved works together as a team to meet public health goals. As we undergo the hardships of the COVID-19 pandemic, let us remind ourselves that we are all essential and that collective participation is required to beat this disease.

Special thank you to Professor Flammer whose unwavering support from the beginning allowed me to take part in this opportunity and the team whom I had the pleasure to work with and learn from.