Calcinosis Working Group Update
- Multicenter retrospective study of 5218 patients
- Prevalence of calcinosis 25%
- Strong association of calcinosis with digital ulcers (OR=3.7) and osteoporosis (OR=3.9)
- New radiographic scoring system for calcinosis
- PRO effort
Current Project/Goals: “A Prospective Study to Identify Risk Factors for Progressive Calcinosis in Patients with Systemic Sclerosis”
- To define the annual incidence of calcinosis in SSc patients
- To verify clinical and serologic associations with this complication
- We also plan to further validate our radiographic scoring system for calcinosis affecting the hands
- To preliminarily validate Mawdsley questionnaire
Progress to date:
- We developed a database through REDCap to compare patients with and without calcinosis by collecting relevant clinical information from 60 consecutive SSc patients who fulfill 2013 revised ACR/EULAR criteria at 16 centers at baseline and one year (total N=960).
- In addition, 8 centers will obtain hand X-rays at baseline and one year in 15 patients with calcinosis (total N=120).
- All patients with calcinosis will complete the novel Mawdsley calcinosis questionnaire at baseline and one year.
- 5 sites have obtained IRB approval
- 2 have begun enrolling patients into the database
- Information on 33 patients from Stanford University and 3 from Hospital for Special Surgery has been entered into the database thus far
- We have enrolled 7 patients in the X-ray sub-study.
- Plan to prospectively collect blood from SSc patients with calcinosis for biomarker analyses
- Evaluate PAH-specific medications for treatment of calcinosis
How can members get involved? Please contact: