Student Resources

BU’s Prison Education Program strives to provide the means whereby, through education, students can become informed, successful, and contributing citizens.

Continuing your Education

If you were a fully matriculated student in the Boston University Prison Education Program while incarcerated, you are a fully matriculated Boston University student upon your release. If you graduated from the BU Prison Education Program while incarcerated, you are a full-fledged graduate of Boston University.

The first step in continuing your education should be to contact the BU Prison Education Program office.

The second step is to contact the Office of Undergraduate Student Services at Metropolitan College. They can suggest the most efficient way for you to pursue the credits you need to graduate. While their focus is on service to undergraduates, you should go see them if you’ve graduated while incarcerated and if you have questions about graduate school.

Boston University Metropolitan College
Office of Undergraduate Student Services
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room 102
Boston, MA 02215


If you live in Massachusetts and decide that one of the Massachusetts state colleges and universities is a more practical option for you, you might wish to visit the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education website.

The Costs

It is important to the Prison Education Program that you finish your degree, but it may not be possible for you to do so at Boston University because of the financial burden. Some students do manage to put together a financial aid package, but at this time, there is no financial aid program specifically geared toward former BU Prison Education students.

Financial aid to attend Metropolitan College is limited to students who take a full load (three courses taken on weekday evenings); those who wish to transfer to BU’s College of Arts & Sciences must enroll full-time four courses taken during the day—to qualify for financial aid. Visit the financial aid section of the Metropolitan College website or contact the financial aid office for more information.

Boston University Metropolitan College
Financial Aid
755 Commonwealth Avenue, Room B4C
Boston, MA 02215


A general overview of financial aid terms and types of aid is available from the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC).

In order to apply for financial aid, you must fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and some schools require a PROFILE, as well. Both of these forms are available at the websites linked above. Their purpose is to help the school determine an applicant’s financial need.