Can the Mind Control the Brain?

in Article, News
March 30th, 2011

Research has been conducted that proves that our thoughts can control the rate of firing of neurons in our brain. This research reveals the crucial advancement of brain-operated machines in the field. John P. Donoghue at Brown University has conducted research that uses neural interface systems (NISs) to aid paraplegics. NISs allows people to control artificial limbs; individuals simply need to think about commanding their artificial limbs and signals are sent down from their brain to control the movement of these limbs! This great feat is not the only applicable result of current research done by brain-machine interfaces. Dr. Frank Guenther of Boston University uses implanted electrodes in a part of the brain that controls speech to tentatively give a voice back to those who have been struck mute by brain injuries. The signals produced from these electrodes are sent wirelessly to a machine that is able to synthesize and interpret these signals into speech. This is specifically useful for patients suffering from locked in syndrome, wherein an individual with a perfectly normal brain is unable to communicate due to specific brain damage, and thus allowing these individuals to communicate with the world! These discoveries are not only incredibly useful, but they also reveal the astonishing feats that the field of computational neuroscience is accomplishing in the world today.

On-line, voluntary control of human temporal lobe neurons

Guenther, Boston University

Donoghue, Brown University

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments on Can the Mind Control the Brain?

• I adore online video manufacturing! I liked your website. Good article without a doubt. If you are trying to find Orange County Video Production click on my url. Its excellent!

• Excellent website. Plenty of useful info here. I am sending it to several friends ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks for your effort!

• I’ve absolutely no expertise in coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyways, if you have any recommendations or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I just wanted to ask. Thanks!

• Great web site you have here.. It’s hard to find quality writing like yours these days. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!