High Performance Computing for BU Economists

This page supports graduate students in the BU Economics program who want to use the computing cluster to support their research.

I gave a seminar about why and how to use the cluster the Fall, 2012.  Here are the slides, with some minor updates:

Important: The slides describe how to obtain access to the cluster.

Sample code:

In addition, I provide code for the dynamic investment problem described in the slides.  I provide code to solve this problem in Matlab and Gauss.  I provide separate code with and without parallel processing.  Note that this problem is so simple that using parallel processing actually slows the program down.  The code is meant as an example.

Note that sites.bu.edu accepts files only with particular extensions, so I gave the sample computer code .txt extensions.   You might want different extensions in practice.  You need to remove the .txt from the batch file to use it.

Gauss:

Dynamic problem without parallel processing

Dynamic problem with parallel processing (uses the ThreadStat command)

Matlab:

Matlab has two ways of implementing parallel processing.  I provide examples of both.  For this example, SPMD is a little more efficient.

Dynamic problem without using parallel processing

Dynamic problem with parallel processing using Parfor

Dynamic problem with parallel processing using SPMD

You will also need these files to run in Matlab

getVnew profit

Also, the slides describe a batch file for running Matlab in batch code on the cluster.  Here is an example:

Batch File (Drop the .txt extension to use this file.)

Thanks goes to Mingli Chen and Kadin Tseng, who were a lot of help with the Matlab files.

R:

Mike Lipsitz is a graduate student working with Ivan Ferndandez-Val.  He prepared a file on submitting R files to the cluster:

Submitting R code to the Batch system on the SCC

Thanks Mike!