EC101 FAQs

in General
September 12th, 2017

These are questions frequently asked by students in EC101 DD/EE.  When students send me emails with questions about the course, I will update this post. –Michael

  • Do I have to buy a clicker?
    Yes.  You are required to buy a Turning Technologies student-response device, often called a clicker. I recommend that you buy it at the BU Bookstore.  The clicker comes with a 1-semester, 1-year or 5-year subscription–be careful not to lose the certificate. Go to Course Information > How to Buy a Student Response Device for more information.  Be prepared for many steps :-( .  I no longer allow students to use smartphone apps, because they often fail to connect to the internet during the lectures.
  • I am unable to register or obtain a subscription (license) for my clicker. What should I do?
    TurningTechnologies at 866-746-3015, 8:00am–9:00pm Boston time or go to their technical-support website.
  • Where are the problem-set assignments?
    All problem-set assignments will be posted on the course website. Go to Classes > Problem-Set Assignments on Friday evening of the week before they are due.  The problems will be reviewed in your discussion sections on the week they are due.
  • Do I have to finish assigned textbook readings in the Course Schedule by the date that’s given there?
    No, the dates on the course schedule are only a suggestions.  But try not to fall behind.  Keep in mind that the exams (80 percent of the course grade) are focused on the lectures, and the textbook is to be used mainly as a reference and for the homework assignments and quizzes.
  • Can I get a copy of the lecture slides?
    No, I don’t distribute those.  But you can download a pdf copy of the Lecture Outlines, which are similar to the slides.  The outlines omit the pictures and some of the lecture details, but they leave you a place to add your own notes. To download the lecture outlines go to Classes > Lecture Outlines.