The Center for Global Christianity & Mission was established in 2001, the first of its kind in a research university in North America. Since its inception, the CGCM has initiated a number of research projects, many of which have an intentional digital component. It is a priority to make information about World Christianity accessible around the globe.
Beside the Boston Korean Diaspora website, a sampling of other digital projects and recent events suggests the vitality of the CGCM. The Center:
- Launched the Old & New in Shona Religion website, which is a multimedia resource on African Traditional Religion and African Initiated Churches in Southern Africa.
- Expanded the History of Missiology website, which provides digital access to thousands of classic texts in missiology, as well as numerous biographies of leading missiological figures.
- Initiated the first-ever meeting of the heads of Centers of Global or World Christianity in North America.
- Gathered prominent scholars from Africa, Europe, and North America to explore the significance of biographies for African Christianity, in conjunction with the Dictionary of African Christian Biography
- Collaborated with the School of Theology library and the United Methodist Seminary in Moscow to begin a digital archive for Russian Methodism
- Provided financial support for graduate students and visiting researchers to present papers at conferences on Mission Studies and World Christianity
- Launched a successful project to digitize motive, the magazine of the Methodist Student Movement.
- Expanded the curriculum by paying for courses in mission and development studies
To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Center for Global Christianity & Mission, I am setting a goal of raising $15,000 to support the infrastructure of the Center. In addition to the funds needed to sustain our forward momentum, we also need seed money for new projects in the works, such as research on Chinese Christian posters from the mid-20th century, and a conference on mid 20th-century mainline ecumenical missionaries. I have already personally pledged $2,000. Would you be willing to make a one-time contribution or a multi-year pledge to the CGCM?
You will be able to follow the impact of your investment through the CGCM News, which is mailed out three times a year. You can also follow CGCM projects, speakers, and special events online. In fact, I encourage you to check in and to send news items, because we aim to create an interactive network of scholars and activists. Your participation will add momentum to the expanding role that the GCGM is playing in interpreting World Christianity and Mission for the Academy and Church.
Dana L. Robert
Truman Collins Professor of World Christianity and History of Mission
Clicking the Donate button will direct you to the BU secure giving website. Instructions for routing money to the CGCM are as follows:
- Press the button that says, “Click Here to Choose a Fund.”
- A pop-up box will open that gives you six “General BU Funds.” Those are not the only giving options. Scroll to the bottom so you may select “Other,” and then press “Continue” in the bottom left hand of that pop-up box.
- Now, you may type “Center for Global Christianity and Mission” in the space that asks “If ‘Other’ was selected above, please indicate where you would like your gift to be directed.”
- Now you can make a donation to the CGCM. Thank you!