R. Christian Engley

christian

Like many graduate students, I was a neurotic child.  This probably explains why for so many years I felt singularly devoted to lyric poetry.  Patterns calmed me, unlike people, whom I had enough trouble reading in life, much less in novels.  Only when I began graduate studies and started to learn about critical theory did I realize I could analyze novels in ways that trouble, rather than unknowingly endorse, the assumptions of psychological realism.  Though I still enjoy teaching courses on poetry, my research now focuses more on British and Irish prose of the late-nineteenth to mid-twentieth century. I am drawn continually to irony, paradox, and contradiction, and I tend to think with Marxist, Lacanian, and occasional post-structuralist inflections.  Having grown (I hope) a bit less neurotic and a bit more empathetic over the years, I am now pursuing an increasingly less elusive dissertation about sin and negation in the work of Oscar Wilde, Joseph Conrad, and Alfred Hitchcock.

Education
Ph.D. in English, Boston University, in progress
M.A. in English, Boston University, 2008
B.A. in English, Northwestern University, 2006

Courses Taught
Department of English
EN 175 Literature and the Art of Film (as teaching assistant, Spring 2012, Spring 2009)
EN 594 Studies in Literature and the Arts: Psycho-Paths (as teaching assistant, Spring 2012)
EN 125 Readings in Modern Literature (Fall 2011, Spring 2011, Fall 2010)
EN 142 Literary Types: Poetry (Fall 2008)

Writing Program
WR 100 Modernist Poetry: Yeats, Eliot, and Auden (Fall 2013, Fall 2012)
WR 150 Modernist Poetry: Yeats, Eliot, and Auden (Spring 2013)
WR 150 A Queer Performance: Gender and Sexuality in Film and Theatre (Spring 2010)
WR 100 A Queer Performance: Gender and Sexuality in Film and Theatre (Fall 2009)