Ken Alba

Alba_PhotoI’m interested in how fiction in both modernism and postmodernism engages with the question of personal identity. I’m especially interested in how form, broadly construed, can present or construct subjectivity. To that end, I spend time with a wide variety of genres, from film to the novel to video games. My approach is informed by my undergraduate training as a philosopher and my interest in how questions of gender and sexuality inflect these genres in different ways.

You can view my CV here.

Education
Ph.D., English, Boston University, expected 2019
M.A., English, Boston University, 2015
B.A., English, summa cum laude, Southern Connecticut State University, 2014
B.A., Philosophy, summa cum laude, Southern Connecticut State University, 2014

Recent Presentations

“Kurosawa, Shakespeare, and noh theater” (International Shakespeare Conference, University of Massachusetts; Amherst, MA; September 19, 2015)

“The Epistemology of the Podcast: What Serial Has to Say About the Power of Narrative” (Thinking Serially: Repetition, Continuation, and Adaptation, the Department of Comparative Literature at The Graduate Center, CUNY; New York City; April 23-24, 2015)

“Thaw the Frozen River: Nietzsche’s Return to the Greeks” (Celebrating Philosophy: A Dialogue on the Nature of Morality, Reality, and Knowledge; College of the Holy Cross; Worcester, MA; March 28-29, 2014)