Alexandra Gold

alexandragold My research and teaching interests include modern and contemporary poetry, post-45 visual arts, aesthetics, women’s, gender, and sexuality studies, and popular culture (television). My dissertation, “Collaborative Poetics: Frank O’Hara and Robert Creeley” examines the transactions between the visual and verbal arts found in the midcentury American poets’ individual work and their collaborative artists’ books. I specifically consider O’Hara’s early ekphrases, Creeley’s literary self-portraiture, and their book projects with painters Michael Goldberg and Robert Indiana, respectively; in a coda, I look at the collaborative work of Mei-Mei Berssenbrugge and Kiki Smith and consider the still-tenuous place of interdisciplinary works in many institutional and critical praxes. Borne of my dissertation, my book manuscript, provisionally entitled, “Reckless, Beautiful Things: Contemporary American Poetry and the Artists’ Book,” will seek to articulate a theory of the 20th and 21st century artists’ book, with an eye to how developments in contemporary poetry were both beholden to and moved in tandem with ever-advancing trends in the visual arts, from Abstract Expressionism to Pop Art, Feminist Art to Neo-Expressionism. At Boston University and Drexel Universities, I have had the pleasure of devising and teaching courses in American and British poetry from 1600-present, composition, and feminist and queer theory, and I have enjoyed working with students as a tutor at the BU Writing Center. Work related to both my research and teaching can be found or is forthcoming in Word & Image: A Journal of Visual/Verbal Enquiry, Women’s Studies (Special Issue: Adrienne Rich), Feminist Teacher, The Comparatist, and Interdisciplinary Literary Studies.

Education:

Ph.D., English and American literature, Boston University (expected May 2018)
Graduate Certificate in Teaching Writing
Graduate Certificate in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
M.A., English and American literature, University of Pennsylvania (2012)
B.A., English literature and Political Science, University of Pennsylvania (2011)