Due to the Environmental Archaeology Laboratory’s research in both macrobotanical and microbotanical remains, we have accumulated a variety of research protocols, from sorting seeds to calibrating microscope cameras. Protocols have been created by past and current researchers, and are now standardized for easy readability and understanding. As a compliment to our facilities, equipment, and collections and image databases, we make available for download PDF versions of our laboratory research protocols.
Please understand that, while we make these available to the public to disseminate best practices, Boston University and the Environmental Archaeology Laboratory cannot be held liable for the use of these protocols.
- Macrobotanical Sample Sorting
- Wood Experimental Carbonization Protocol
- Starch Grain Nixtamalization Protocol
- Removing Starch and Phytoliths from Artifacts Protocol
- Standard Phytolith Processing Protocol
- Modified Phytolith Processing Protocol
- Phytolith Reference Collection Processing – Dry Ashing Protocol
- Phytolith Reference Collection Processing – Wet Ashing Protocol
- Sample Prep for Tooth Enamel Sr Analysis Protocol
- Leica Camera Scale Bar Calibration Protocol